Thursday, January 21, 2010

Go for broke!

[Since this is the first post here, maybe I should explain the (current) title: It might be my mantra for the year. Or for life. It's possible I've finally embraced it after all that time being told not to put all my eggs in one basket. What if I only want one basket? Go for broke! Broken eggs! Broken heart! Broke and empty wallet! If it's worth doing, it's worth doing all the way, so why wouldn't you?]

Anyway, today Visqueen played at an elementary school in Olympia, Washington. I hadn't been anywhere in Olympia before besides that gas station where you can hear all the frogs. The event was for Encore Arts, an organization that was founded as a memorial for a young girl who passed away while still a young girl. She was a huge participant in the arts community and a big Visqueen fan. We were honored to be invited to play a few songs quietly. But first, a jazz band:

They all wore great outfits, complete with hats and mustaches. They let us wear mustaches, too!

While we were packing up, an adorable little boy named Zephyr and his mom came up to tell us that he wants to be a drummer, too. Ben invited him to play his snare. My heart was stolen. Sorry, potential soulmates - I just carved out my heart and handed it to this kid:

That's him in the stripes. I think he's hitting his mother with a stick. It's Olympia, though, so it probably won't be long before someone teaches him that violence against women is unacceptable.

We went to Old School Pizza afterwards. It was super tasty, and the posters on the walls were absolute classics!

They even had a German "Return of the Jedi" poster:

...which was probably only exciting for me because I recently started learning German. Or trying to learn German. I'm very confused by the grammar and rather self-conscious regarding the r sounds. I think a friend might start tutoring me soon. I'm really looking forward to it. I'm also working on Tagalog, French and Portuguese. Maybe Italian after that.

1 comment:

  1. Well, Cristina, Sounds like you and the gang had a good day in Olympia yesterday. I hope you enjoy the same tomorrow night in B'ham. I remember you saying something about languages but didn't know you had such an interest in them. Então, como é seu português? Não tive uma ideia que você era uma polyglota! Precisamos falar algum dia. Da pra ler as postagems que escrevo no FB? Devo tomar cuidado agora com elas né?

    ReplyDelete