Saturday, March 27, 2010

All this sleep is exhausting.

Home now. Sick, too. I woke up with a sore throat in Tucson and didn't even party in Vegas after the show. However, Rachel won $800 at a roulette table right before bed just on a whim. Pretty sweet!

SXSW was a vortex of mostly wonderful things. It was my first time! I've been hearing about the festival since I was 11, and the most recent words came from people comparing it to "intentionally stepping in dog shit" (someone please tell me where that quote is from?!). I, however, had a great time. Visqueen got to play some amazing shows, including the NPR showcase at Stubb's on opening night with Spoon, Broken Bells, Sharon Jones + the Dap Kings and the Walkmen (listenable here!). I felt completely honored and spoiled, and in a place literally overflowing with bands, I am so grateful that people came out and saw one that I play in.

I spent just about all of my free time hitched to the Hounds Below (this time with a trombonist!). They played something like six shows throughout the festival (which is insane). I was there for all but one, which is maybe not how you're supposed to do SXSW, but you know what? It's rare that I get this excited about a new band, and I'll take my obsessions where I can.

Also, I got style-blogged on the day that I probably most needed a shower and a change of clothes. I honestly hadn't showered in two or three days and was in the middle of carrying Rachel's guitar across town. The crew stopped me and I thought they were joking.

Anyway, rather than attempt to do a full recap, I'm just going to unload pictures from my phone from the last couple of weeks...

Cans of High Life the size of my forearm in Lubbock, TX!
Summer Snow!
I ate barbecue under this while the people at the next table talked about the Bible. I think the deer lost an eyelash in my food, too.
This is Puck. Puck was a houseguest where Visqueen were also houseguests! Rachel's girlhood friend Janine and her family were kind enough to put us up at their epic home in Austin. They also cooked amazing dinner. Thanks, Jacobsons!
This was at the Hounds Below's house. Little packets of vodka. Good thing everyone in their band can't stand the stuff!
Ben's food at Uncorked marked the second time on this trip that I realized just how much potatoes can resemble testicles.

We've got a bit of work to do this month before we hit the road again, but it looks like I'll be spending this weekend in footie pajamas catching up with this gentleman:

No comments:

Post a Comment