Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Potentially Interesting Places #2!

Vimeo is processing this week's video as I type this. We had some technical issues earlier. So it goes.

I made this one this morning before we left the Chicago Days Inn where we stayed last night. Apparently it's the "rock and roll" hotel of Chicago? That part's debatable, but we had an okay time and they treated us quite well. Since I received a comment last week about the noise, I thought I'd try to find a quiet place this week. I chose the hotel stairwell. I personally think this is one of the videos where the "I only get one take" thing is totally apparent, so that's... super comfortable for me [/sarcasm]. Also, I think you can hear it in the video - a person or two came into the stairwell on a lower level. I think they just hung out until I was done. 

Anyway, this song is called "Space Between" or "The Space Between" if you prefer. I know everyone writes dumb love songs, but this year I've been remapping my brain and heart a little bit, redefining my idea of love... so it is taking up a little extra space in the writing tank. It's evidenced in last week's song, "The Opposite of Love," as well as this one. "Space Between" was written in February about the sense of resignation that came with feeling committed to people who were perhaps terminally noncommittal. Please try not to mistake people who write songs for the characters who sing them; I'm not entirely convinced I work this way... anymore... I hope.

Songs in Potentially Interesting Places #2 from Cristina Bautista on Vimeo.

3 comments:

  1. ".....the sense of resignation that came with feeling committed to people who were perhaps terminally noncommittal."

    Resignation.... grest choice of words Cristina... Thanks for the insight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, i think i made a major mistake on my last comment. i thought this was your version of the space between by dave matthews, but after listening to it a few more times i don't think so. is this your original? whatever, i love this song and i think i figured out some of the chords G,Bm7 in the intro and chorus, and G, C, Bbmar7?, F for the rest of the song. Where am i wrong? please help. thanks.

    ~Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! Hi! Sorry for the delay, I just saw this comment now! Yes, this is a song that I wrote (there's some explanation/backstory in this post), and I'm glad that you enjoy it! The chords in the intro/chorus are Eb7 and G and in the verses are G, C, Bb and F. I'd love to hear your version if you play it and feel like sharing!

    I'll be sure to try to stay on top of comments from now on, so hopefully if there's ever anything else, I can get back to you in a more timely manner!

    ReplyDelete