Friday, July 16, 2010

Potentially Interesting Places #8

(Soooo.... This video has been up since Tuesday, but since Adam's computer kind of 'sploded when I tried to blog about it, this part is later than I hoped it would be. Sorry.)

I think some version of this idea appears in the book and film High Fidelity: pop music traditionally champions the unreasonable. I don't look at it in quite the same guaranteed heartbreak kind of way Rob discusses ("Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or, was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" Something like that, right?), though. I see it as a celebration, documentation and maybe immortalization of some of the coolest parts of the teenage experience... at least as I knew it (parts like the unshakable certainty that the person who is obviously not meant to be the person you spend the rest of your life with is; that kind of young confidence in your gut feeling. Nevermind that it probably wasn't your gut and that it was probably hormones, you knew).

This week I played "Fool" in an alley in the Fremont neighborhood of Seattle, around the corner from where the original Sonic Boom Records used to be. It's a pho restaurant now, but it used to be my playground. "Fool" is a song I wrote when I was 14 or 15 and I knew I was right. Nine years later, I like the song even though I definitely wasn't.

Songs in Potentially Interesting Places #8 from Cristina Bautista on Vimeo.

1 comment:

  1. You know I love these entries, as so many of your friends and followers do. But here's my unsolicited advice on the self-shot pieces: take one step forward. (ahem.) The visual framing is great, but it's just hard to hear you, dear. :)

    ReplyDelete